As we continue with this ingredient spotlight on your Morning Routine, it brings me nicely to Niacinamide (or Vitamin B3).
I think you guys already know how much love I have for this ingredient. Much like azelaic acid, it’s an all-round crowd-pleaser - versatile, well-tolerated and it’s actually a dream to formulate with as it doesn't need any special treatment.
So let’s get into the nitty gritty of why I think it deserves a coveted spot in your morning routine!
Niacinamide for Acne
- 1. It’s helpful in calming blemishes, by reducing the effect of the acne bacteria on triggering inflammation.
- 2. It reduces the pigmentation from blemishes, by reducing the transfer of melanin into our skin cells.
- 3. It’s also going to boost ceramide production - that means it bolsters our skin’s barrier. This means that it lessens the impact of environmental challenges, like UV and pollution, as we go about our day. This is also helpful in the context of acne, as inflamed blemishes are actually ceramide deficient.
Niacinamide and Retinoids
- 4. It can help us tolerate other, more irritating Actives better.
- 5. It’s safe to use in pregnancy and breastfeeding.
Can I Use Niacinamide and Vitamin C together?
- 6. It plays well with pretty much every other ingredient in your routine. No need to worry about that confusing old study on vitamin C and niacinamide interacting. It works especially well with azelaic acid due to their synergistic mechanism of action.
- 7. It’s a great anti-ageing ingredient, improving both the appearance of fine lines and increasing skin radiance. One of the ways it does this is by significantly lessening the impact of environmental stressor on our skin so its really a great ingredient for urban dwellers.
- 8. It’s tolerated well by both sensitive and redness-prone skin.
- 9. It's even tolerated well around the eyes and on the neck.
- 10. It can be layered in multiple products to max out the benefits.
Niacinamide Products I Recommend
- The Ordinary Niacinamide 10% + Zinc 1%
- Flawless Daily Moisturiser
- Flawless Daily Sunscreen
- Elta MD Clear Tinted SPF 46
- Flawless Nightly Serum
- Paula’s Choice 10% Niacinamide Booster